A 'Friday's Child' Blog

Welcome & Thanks for joining me as I attempt to unscramble the craziness running around in my brain . . . Stick around & you just might find me rambling on about sewing, cooking, baking, homeschooling, romance, getting fit {hah!}, and keeping my sanity while raising the Littles . . . Is that even possible?¿? (=

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

'EveryDay' Recipe Starter

My 'HPL' {{Happy Little Family}} leads such a busy life {{with NO organization or schedule!}} that supper is almost always a last minute affair.  It also almost ALWAYS includes ground turkey as the base for the meal {{spaghetti, sloppy joes, cheeseburger mac, stuffed veggies, chili, soups, pizza, baked pastas, burritos...the list goes on...}}.


I am guilty of adding extra veggies to ANY meal that I cook {{because the Hubs won't eat many}}.  My philosophy is that by adding the veggies IN, he couldn't take them OUT.  The same philosophy works for Ruffles {{another NON Veggie Fan}}.


Last year I came up with this 'recipe' {{it's more of a method than a recipe}} for our staple cooking ingredient~the Ground Turkey.  Lately I have had MANY requests for the method and decided to post this so I can just direct everyone here!


Ground Turkey w/ Veggies
Ingredients
2lbs Ground Turkey
2lbs Frozen Chopped Spinach
2lbs Frozen CHOPPED Broccoli
1lb Diced Onion {{I used frozen}}
1lb Shredded Carrots
EVOO {{I use spray}}
Yogurt Butter
Nature's Seasonings or Mrs Dash {{whatever I have on hand}}






Lightly coat the bottom of your pan with the EVOO and a few TBLS of butter. 
Pour ALL veggies in pan, season, and then sweat them until soft.


{{I added a few extra pats of butter on top this time~see!?!  Method~NOT recipe!}}


Depending on the size of your pot, you can add the turkey in with the cooked veggies or set the veggies aside.  I opted to set them aside this time...



Brown your turkey in some EVOO and Yogurt Butter with a little more of your seasoning of choice.



Next, add all your veggies back in...



Give them a stir...



Let everything cool down and pack it all into four freezer safe containers!



Now, your Turkey w/ Veggies mix is ready to go for ANY recipe that calls for a pound of ground meat!


One reason that I like to call this a 'method' instead of a 'recipe' is because it changes often.  I might cook 3 or 5lbs of turkey, which calls for a different amount of veggies.  I sometimes get a 'wild hair' and play with the seasonings a bit.  I often add petite diced tomatoes to have something ready for tomato based sauces {{marinara, sloppy joes, chili, etc}}.

When you are ready to use your mix, just defrost and go...ENJOY! 





No comments:

Post a Comment