A 'Friday's Child' Blog

Welcome & Thanks for joining me as I attempt to unscramble the craziness running around in my brain . . . Stick around & you just might find me rambling on about sewing, cooking, baking, homeschooling, romance, getting fit {hah!}, and keeping my sanity while raising the Littles . . . Is that even possible?¿? (=

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

SergerPepper Everyday Tank: My 1st Pattern REVIEW

Merry Christmas! I do hope that your year has been Blessed and stuffed FULL of Laughter & Love. 2014 has been kRaZy {to say the least} for my HappyLittleFamily {HLF}. And with Ruffles’ 5th {FIFTH!} Birthday taking place in the midst of the Holiday Season -simultaneously with our trip to WDW {!•Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party•!} , a Family Christmas Party and our church's Christmas Concert -and this was all in ONE  weekend!- on top of HLF's regularly PACKED schedule, this Mommy is one busy Lady... and that brings me to the subject at hand. {GEEZ. Can you say “Longest run-on sentence EVER”?}

Recently I signed on with Denise of DIY Crush to be a pattern reviewer. I have discovered that in my busy life it is helpful to have a reason {or deadline!} to make me sit down & sew. Besides that, I love testing patterns {and sharing my results & opinion with others} so why not try something new? Granted I was supposed to have finished and turned in my review a few weeks ago...but who's counting right? I’m only joking - if you know me then you know how I despise being late. Being late makes me gRuMpY {FYI, I stay gRuMpY a LOT lately!}.

The 1st pattern I have been asked to review was the Everyday Tank: Top & Dresses by SergerPepper. I just knew we had to do it because living in NE Fla means Shorts, FlipFlops & {YES} TankTops year round!  The Everyday Tank, Top & Dress {heretofore referred to as The ET} looked like something we could have fun with & when I saw the "BEGINNER" level I was sold, HaHa! This pattern was published in PDF form {my personal -and absolute - favorite}. The ET comes in 3 lengths {Top, Dress & Maxi}, has some very cute side detailing and optional pockets {something I have recommended in almost EVERY pattern I've tested, HaHa!}.

How CUTE is this?¿?




This was my 1st 'foreign' pattern {written using the metric system} but this tutorial also includes the imperial system...& I learned that Americans use the "Imperial" system. I never knew that until I read this pattern! Irene of SergerPepper did a fantastic job using both measurements while keeping the tutorial pretty clear & concise. She also made sure to repeat important tips and crucial steps. I am a huge fan of up-cycling and  Irene gave excellent instructions on how to make your ET using an existing garment.  I did up-cycle but due to the largeness of the existing garments & the smallness of my Ruffles, was unable to use the tips. Bummer. Next time though...

The ET tutorial offers SO MANY different tips & tricks! Choosing a style, picking your fabrics, cutting your fabrics, choosing measurements, sewing with knits, using your seger or just sewing machine, binding techniques, hemming {& more!} but the tutorial was laid out in a way that isn't overwhelming. Sometimes too much is just that - TOO MUCH. In this instance it isn't excessive because all the information is helpful & easy to find. The ET is listed {classified?} as a BEGINNER level & I would agree. I recommend reading the ENTIRE tutorial at least once through before starting though!

I did not use my serger on this pattern. In fact I used my "never fails me" Brother 'Project Runway' Limited Edition BlackFriday WalMart Special! It only sews a straight or zig-zag stitch. For knits I will often loosen the tension but that is the only adjustment I made.

Had I thought ahead, I would have tried laying the striped fabric diagonally for a more feminine look. Ruffles LOVES it though, so what more can a Mommy ask for? I would love to try a tank for Robot & I have plans for at least one dress-length version for Ruffles {I'm a sucker for a cute knit dress!}. 

GottaRun, ByeBye Y'all! ☺️
Brandyn

P.S.
A "few" more pictures of my Lil'Sweetie {& YES this outfit was totally appropriate for the weather!}







That little belly!  We had just finished dinner☺️ 





No comments:

Post a Comment